PINOYSABROAD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OFW ANTI HOMESICK

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inBudget approval seen before holidays I_icon_mini_message

Budget approval seen before holidays

Go down 
AuthorMessage
MagicMan1347

Budget approval seen before holidays Empty
PostSubject: Budget approval seen before holidays   Budget approval seen before holidays I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 2:46 am

MANILA, Philippines -- Senate Finance Committee chairman Sen. Franklin Drilon has vowed to pass the proposed P1.816-trillion General Appropriations Act (GAA) for 2012 early to ensure that Malacañang gets to approve the budget bill before the holidays.

After the senators convene for a caucus on Monday, Nov. 14, Drilon said he would be sponsoring the Senate version of the 2012 budget the next day.

“I am ready to sponsor the bill on Tuesday, (Nov. 15). We are targeting finishing the debates on Nov. 18, and approve the budget on third and final reading on Nov. 21,” Drilon said.

Afterwards, the bill would be submitted to bicameral conference committee to enable lawmakers to reconcile differences in their versions.

Sen. Edgardo Angara confirmed there are realignments to the proposed 2012 budget, particularly on the budget of the State Universities and Colleges (SUCs) which he handled.

The budget of the SUCs he said, was reduced by about P144 million “because some of their maintenance money, some of their MOOE and personnel money were embargoed.”

“But Senator Drilon and I put together other measures that will give almost P400-million to the SUCs. It will fill up shortages and more. But it’s targeted now, dedicated to the ‘innovation clusters.’ We will identify outstanding SUCs that can be supported in terms of research and that will attract the industry and the government research institutions to provide additional money. It’s a multiplier,” Angara said.

But Angara said that the realignments are a “good design.”

“It will nominally be seen as a reduction because some of their money was embargoed, but we made it up and more and really signed some academic programs that ultimately will be better for them,” he said.

“I think it’s a positive. I think the budget, as a whole, is about 10 percent bigger than the 2011 budget,” he added.

Proposed outlay for next year is 10.4 percent higher from the current year (2011) budget of P1.645 trillion. Next year's budget represents 16.5 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), or the value of goods and services produced by an economy in a given period.

The Department of Education (DepEd) has the highest allocation with P238.8 billion budget followed by the Department of Public Works and Highways which has P125.5 billion. The Department of National Defense would have P107.9 billion, Department of Interior and Local Government P49.4 billion and Department of Agriculture, P54 billion.

Meanwhile, a series of pro-reproductive health bill mass action will mark today’s opening of Congress’ sessions to press on the both Chambers to vote on the infamous measure.

In an advisory, the Philippine Legislators' Committee on Population and Development Foundation, Inc. (PLCPD), said that at least 1,000 RH advocates will participate in the three-day mass action to call on the Congress to immediately pass the consolidated House Bill 4244.

Along with some personalities, artists and celebrities, representatives from various non-government organizations, including labor and business groups, academe, and women and youth sectors will join the massive action dubbed as “10 Taon na ang RH Bill. Sobra Na, Tama Na!”

At the same time, supporters said the so-called anti-epal bill in the Senate will got strong backing in the House of Representatives.

Hannah Torregoza, Manila Bulletin
Back to top Go down

Budget approval seen before holidays
Page 1 of 1